Learn in this video how to make a walnut cake from scratch by using a traditional walnut beigli recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade roll cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY German walnut cake! ?
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 3 cups of all-purpose flour
2) 1 cup + 8 tbsp of granulated sugar
3) 1 cup of pork lard at room temperature
4) zest from a lemon
5) 10 g/0.35 oz of baking powder
6) 10 g/0.35 oz of dried yeast
7) 250 ml/9 fl oz + 200 ml/7 fl oz of cold cow milk
8) 2 eggs
9) 400 g/14 oz of ground walnut core
10) 2 tbsp of semolina
11) some caster sugar for garnishing
1) put the flour into a larger bowl, then add 1 cup of sugar and pork lard
2) grate zest from a lemon in the bowl
3) put baking powder and yeast in 250 ml/9 fl oz of milk, then combine well the ingredients until everything is dissolved and wait about 5 minutes
4) in the meantime, combine by hand ingredients from the bowl by rubbing them just like in the video
5) break and add one egg and the milk into the bowl, then combine again ingredients
6) when the dough is smooth, flour a worktop, place dough on it and knead it for 1-2 minutes
7) divide the dough into 3 equal parts and stretch them into sheets with a length that fits into the tray you are using
8) boil 200 ml/7 fl oz of cow milk, then add 8 tbsp of sugar and stir to dissolve it
9) when the sweetened milk is bubbling, add ground walnut core gradually while stirring energetically
10) add semolina and combine well ingredients until you get a smooth walnut cream
11) wait until the walnut cream cools to room temperature
12) place about 1/3 of the walnut cream filling over a dough sheet into a thin layer, just like in the video
13) roll the dough sheet and filling as tight as possible, then seal the ends
14) place the German walnut cake into a baking-paper coated tray, then continue identically with the remaining dough sheets and walnut filling
15) break one egg into a glass and beat it up by fork, then brush the walnut beigli all over
16) place the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and wait until the homemade walnut cake is golden on top and sides
17) take the tray out from the oven and wait until the cake is completely cold before slicing it up as desired
18) sprinkle over this ground walnut cake abundant caster sugar (optional)
This old-fashioned walnut cake is very popular not just in Germany but also in several Central and Eastern European countries including Hungary, where it’s called walnut beigli.
Actually, walnut beigli is a version of the authentic German poppy seed cake named Mohnkuchen.
Both walnut beigli and poppy seed beigli are usually prepared during winter and especially at Christmas when they are found on almost any table.
This happens at least in the houses where the holiday season is celebrated in the traditional way.
However, because of its popularity, beigli is baked not just for Christmas, but also at Easter and any other time in the cold months.
The German walnut cake is usually served plain as a dessert with or without tea or coffee. Additionally, walnut beigli is very tasty along with milk, so it’s often served at breakfast in this combination. Enjoy it!
Yes, beigli can be filled up with other ingredients such as poppyseed paste and chestnut puree.
More information about beigli origins is available here.