📖 Table of Contents
Homemade German Nut Cake Recipes: Walnut Roll Cake
My walnut roll cake is one of the most delicious German nut cake recipes you ever baked!
➡️ Searching for the best homemade walnut roll cake recipes in 2024? On this page, you can learn how to make German walnut cake or walnut beigli in 18 steps at home. There are a lot of fans of walnut cakes, especially in the cold period of the year when they not only spoil you with their delicious taste but also give you the necessary energy to better cope with the cold outside.
How To Make German Walnut Cake from Scratch
What ingredients do you need to make German walnut cake?
1) 3 cups of all-purpose flour
2) 1 cup + 8 tbsp of granulated sugar
3) 1 cup of pork lard at room temperature
4) zest from a lemon
5) 10 g/0.35 oz of baking powder
6) 10 g/0.35 oz of dried yeast
7) 250 ml/9 fl oz + 200 ml/7 fl oz of cold cow milk
8) 2 eggs
9) 400 g/14 oz of ground walnut core
10) 2 tbsp of semolina
11) some caster sugar for garnishing
How to make German walnut cake from scratch?
1) put the flour into a larger bowl, then add 1 cup of sugar and pork lard
2) grate zest from a lemon in the bowl
3) put baking powder and yeast in 250 ml/9 fl oz of milk, then combine well the ingredients until everything is dissolved and wait about 5 minutes
4) in the meantime, combine ingredients from the bowl by rubbing them just like in the video
5) break and add one egg and the milk into the bowl, then combine again ingredients
6) when the dough is smooth, flour a worktop, place dough on it, and knead it for 1-2 minutes
7) divide the dough into 3 equal parts and stretch them into sheets with a length that fits into the tray you are using
8) boil 200 ml/7 fl oz of cow milk, then add 8 tbsp of sugar and stir to dissolve it
9) when the sweetened milk is bubbling, add ground walnut core gradually while stirring energetically
10) add semolina and combine well ingredients until you get a smooth walnut cream
11) wait until the walnut cream cools to room temperature
12) place about 1/3 of the walnut cream filling over a dough sheet into a thin layer, just like in the video
13) roll the dough sheet and fill as tight as possible, then seal the ends
14) place the German walnut cake into a baking-paper coated tray, then continue identically with the remaining dough sheets and walnut filling
15) break one egg into a glass and beat it up by fork, then brush the walnut beigli all over
16) place the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and wait until the homemade walnut cake is golden on top and sides
17) take the tray out from the oven and wait until the cake is completely cold before slicing it up as desired
18) sprinkle over this ground walnut cake abundant caster sugar (optional)
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Walnut Beigli Recipe
➡️ This old-fashioned walnut cake is very popular not only in Germany but also in several countries in Central and Eastern Europe, including Hungary, where it is called walnut beigli. Actually, walnut beigli is a version of the authentic German poppy seed cake named Mohnstrietzel.
➡️ Enjoy baking German walnut roll cake from scratch! For additional info, read more about beigli origins here.
FAQs about German Walnut Cakes
What is German Walnut Cake?
German Walnut Cake, also known as “Walnusskuchen” in German, is a traditional cake popular in Germany. It is made with a rich and moist batter infused with ground walnuts, giving it a distinct nutty flavor. The cake is often topped with a simple glaze or dusted with powdered sugar.
What ingredients are typically used in German Walnut Cakes?
The main ingredients used in German Walnut Cakes include all-purpose flour, ground walnuts, sugar, eggs, butter, baking powder, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Some variations may also incorporate additional flavorings like lemon zest or spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg.
Can I use store-bought ground walnuts for the cake?
While it is possible to use store-bought ground walnuts for convenience, freshly ground walnuts often yield a more intense and flavorful result. You can easily grind whole walnuts in a food processor or blender until they reach a fine consistency.
Is German Walnut Cake gluten-free?
Traditional German Walnut Cake is not gluten-free as it typically contains all-purpose flour. However, you can experiment with gluten-free flour blends to make a gluten-free version of the cake. Just ensure that the flour blend you use is suitable for baking.
How is German Walnut Cake served?
German Walnut Cake is often served as a delightful afternoon treat or as a dessert. It can be enjoyed plain, dusted with powdered sugar, or topped with a simple glaze made with powdered sugar and lemon juice. Some variations also incorporate whipped cream or a dollop of vanilla sauce on the side.
Can I make German Walnut Cake in advance?
Yes, you can make German Walnut Cake in advance. It is a great cake to prepare ahead of time for special occasions or gatherings. Once cooled, you can store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. Alternatively, you can refrigerate it for longer freshness, but note that the texture may become slightly denser.
Can I freeze German Walnut Cake?
Yes, German Walnut Cake can be frozen for future enjoyment. Ensure that the cake is completely cooled before wrapping it tightly in plastic wrap and placing it in a freezer-safe container or bag. When ready to serve, thaw the cake at room temperature or in the refrigerator before enjoying.
Can I modify the recipe to make a vegan German Walnut Cake?
Yes, you can modify the recipe to make a vegan version of German Walnut Cake. Replace the eggs with suitable egg substitutes such as applesauce, mashed bananas, or a flaxseed/water mixture. Substitute the butter with a vegan butter alternative or coconut oil, and use a plant-based milk option. Adjustments may be needed to achieve the desired texture and flavor.
Are there any variations of German Walnut Cake?
Yes, there are variations of German Walnut Cake that incorporate additional ingredients or techniques. Some recipes may include chopped walnuts in the batter for added texture or incorporate a layer of walnut filling. Others may feature a crumb topping made with a mixture of walnuts, sugar, and butter. These variations offer unique twists to the classic German Walnut Cake.
Can I use other types of nuts instead of walnuts?
While the traditional recipe calls for walnuts, you can experiment with other nuts if desired. Pecans or hazelnuts can be a suitable substitute, providing a different flavor profile to the cake. Just ensure that the nuts are finely ground before incorporating them into the batter.