📖 Table of Contents
Old-Fashioned Vanilla Slice Recipes: Homemade Cremeschnitte
My old-fashioned vanilla slice recipe is one of the most delicious homemade cremeschnitte recipes you’ve ever made at home!
➡️ Searching for homemade vanilla slice recipes in 2024? You don’t need to look further because on this website you’ll learn how to make cremeschnitte or a vanilla slice in 21 steps at home. The Habsburg Empire is still recognized today for its grandeur and culinary refinement, which, for the most part, they imported from French cuisine but which they also developed taking into account local preferences. This is how cremeschnitte appeared, which is actually an Austrian version of the French vanilla slice.
➡️ This dessert became so popular that it spread throughout the empire and that is why today you will find various cremeschnitte versions throughout Central and Eastern Europe, as well as in the Balkans. My easy cremeschnitte recipe helps you to make a homemade custard slice with vanilla cream and more simple and tasty ingredients in the Hungarian style.
➡️ You should not think that it’s a difficult task given the French origin of the recipe. On the contrary, today you can buy ready-made pastry sheets and you only have to make the custard, which means you can make a fantastic dessert in a relatively short time! Learn below how to make homemade cremeschnitte with grandma’s custard slice recipe!
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Homemade Cremeschnitte Vanilla Slice from Scratch
What ingredients do you need to make cremeschnitte at home?
1) 1 sachet of gelatin (10 g/0.35 oz)
2) 4 eggs separated into yolks and whites
3) 10 tbsp of granulated sugar
4) 250 ml/8.5 fl oz + 1.750 ml/59 fl oz of cold cow milk
5) 6 tbsp of all-purpose flour
6) 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
7) cremeschnitte pastry layers (2 sheets)
8) powdered sugar for garnishing
How to make homemade cremeschnitte from scratch?
1) dissolve gelatin as indicated on the package
2) separate 4 egg yolks, put them into a bowl, then add sugar and mix until dissolved completely
3) add 250 ml/8.5 fl oz of milk and combine the ingredients
4) add flour and mix until you get a smooth dough
5) add vanilla extract and mix
6) bring to boil the rest of the milk, then add gradually the mixture you prepared previously while stirring continuously
7) boil vanilla custard at a low temperature until it thickens
8) take the pan with vanilla custard off the stove when it’s slightly viscous and wait to cool for about 5 minutes
9) whip egg whites with the mixer until hard together with a pinch of salt
10) add egg white to the custard in small amounts and combine gently ingredients by rubbing to get a fluffy and smooth cream
11) wait about 10 minutes to cool the vanilla custard filling, then add gelatin and mix
12) wait until the cream is completely cold, and cover it with food foil to avoid making a hard crust
13) make at home or take from the package out the bought pastry sheets for cremeschnitte
14) cut lengthwise one of the sheets into two equal parts
15) cut across both halves several times to get pastry squares of the desired size
16) mix vanilla custard before filling the cremeschnitte up
17) stretch custard on the second pastry sheet into an even layer
18) lay on cream top of the pastry squares you cut previously out
19) flatten the edges and remove the excess custard if necessary
20) sprinkle powdered sugar in abundance over the cake
21) wait until the next day before serving to soften the pastry sheets or serve it immediately if you like cremeschnitte cake with crunchy sheets
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Homemade Cremeschnitte Recipe (Old-Fashioned Vanilla Slice)
➡️ Cremeschnitte is an old-fashioned cake beloved in many European countries. Because of its popularity, cremeschnitte is one of the most often prepared homemade cake recipes in countries such as Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Austria, Croatia, and so on.
➡️ Cremeschnitte was made usually starting from early fall to late spring when temperatures are lower because the vanilla custard is prepared with milk and high temperatures could bring it to ferment. Furthermore, homemade cremeschnitte it’s so appreciated that it’s not missing from Christmas and especially Easter holiday table in the above-mentioned countries!
➡️ In recent years, cremeschnitte become very popular in other countries like Australia, which is known as the vanilla slice, and New Zealand, where it’s called a custard slice. Cremeschnitte is popular also in different parts of the United States and Canada and especially on their eastern coast, where a strong European gastronomic heritage persists.
➡️ This homemade cremeschnitte recipe is based on a French millefeuille recipe. It’s adapted for home use, so the cake is easy to make even for less experienced people.
➡️ Even if making cremeschnitte at home takes some time, the final result it’s well worth the effort entirely and you’ll enjoy for sure this very delicious homemade cake!
➡️ This recipe is pretty versatile so, instead of vanilla extract, you can use lemon or orange flavors if you like more and want to make variations to the basic recipe.
➡️ You can make the pastry sheets at home, but I recommend buying them instead because making them is very time-consuming and there is no quality difference between them.
➡️ Finally, I recommend waiting at least a couple of hours before serving the cake, however, the homemade cremeschnitte is equally delicious when it’s served immediately!
➡️ Enjoy making homemade cremeschnitte (old-fashioned vanilla slice) from scratch! For additional info, read more on vanilla slice!