Homemade vanilla slice recipes – how to make cremeschnitte or vanilla slice. Easy cremeschnitte recipe to make a homemade custard slice with vanilla cream and more simple and tasty ingredients.
Vanilla slice recipe to learn how to make homemade cremeschnitte with grandma’s custard slice recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 1 sacket of gelatin (10 g / 0.35 oz)
2) 4 eggs separated into yolks and whites
3) 10 tbsp of granulated sugar
4) 250 ml / 8.5 fl oz + 1.750 ml / 59 fl oz of cold cow milk
5) 6 tbsp of all-purpose flour
6) 2 tbsp of vanilla extract
7) cremeschnitte pastry layers (2 sheets)
8) powdered sugar for garnishing
1) dissolve gelatin as indicated on the package
2) separate 4 egg yolks, put them into a bowl, then add sugar and mix until dissolved completely
3) add 250 ml / 8.5 fl oz of milk and combine ingredients
4) add flour and mix until you get a smooth dough
5) add vanilla extract and mix
6) bring to boil the rest of milk, then add gradually the mixture you prepared previously while stirring continuously
7) boil vanilla custard over a low temperature until it thickens
8) take the pan with vanilla custard off from the stove when it’s slightly viscous and wait to cool about 5 minutes
9) whip egg whites by mixer until hard together with a pinch of salt
10) add egg white to the custard in small amounts and combine gently ingredients by rubbing to get a fluffy and smooth cream
11) wait about 10 minutes to cool the vanilla custard filling, then add gelatin and mix
12) wait until the cream is completely cold, cover it with food foil to avoid making a hard crust
13) make at home or take from the package out the bought pastry sheets for cremeschnitte
14) cut lengthwise one of the sheets in two equal parts
14) cut across both halves several times to get pastry squares of the desired size
15) mix vanilla custard before filling the cremeschnitte up
16) stretch custard on the second pastry sheet into an even layer
17) lay on cream top the pastry squares you cut previously out
18) flatten the edges and remove the excess custard if necessary
19) sprinkle powdered sugar in abundance over cake
20) wait until the next day before serving to soften the pastry sheets or serve it immediately if you like cremeschnitte cake with crunchy sheets
Cremeschnitte is an old fashioned cake beloved in many European countries. Because of its popularity, cremeschnitte is one of the most-often prepared homemade cake recipes in countries such as Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Austria, Croatia, and so on.
Cremeschnitte was made usually starting from early fall to late spring when temperatures are lower because the vanilla custard is prepared with milk and high temperatures could bring it to ferment.
In recent years, cremeschnitte become very popular in other countries like Australia, where is known as the vanilla slice, and New Zealand, where it’s called custard slice.
Cremeschnitte is popular also in different parts of the United States and Canada and especially on their eastern coast.
This homemade cremeschnitte recipe is based on a French millefeuille recipe. It’s adapted for home use, so the cake is easy to make even for the less experienced people.
Even if making cremeschnitte at home takes some time, the final result it’s worth the effort entirely and you and your family will enjoy for sure this very delicious homemade cake!
Furthermore, instead of vanilla extract, you can use lemon or orange flavors if you like.
You can make the pastry sheets at home, but I recommend to buy it instead because making them is very time consuming and there is no quality difference between them.
Finally, I recommend to wait at least a couple of hours before serving, however, the homemade cremeschnitte is equally delicious when it’s served immediately!
Enjoy homemade cremeschnitte!
Read more about the cremeschnitte origins here.