Roasted whole duck recipes – how to make slow roast duck with sauerkraut and apple. Whole roasted duck recipe to cook a crispy duck in the oven with simple and tasty ingredients like sauerkraut and apples.
Learn in this video how to make roasted duck with sour cabbage by using a yummy and easy roasted whole duck recipe from scratch!
SUPER YUMMY homemade food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this recipe or article was not useful for you!
Let us improve this recipe or article!
Tell us how we can improve this recipe or article?
1) 3,5 kg / 125 oz of duck (2 ducks)
2) salt and black pepper to taste
3) 2,5 kg / 90 oz of chopped sauerkraut
4) 200 g / 7 oz of wedged red onions
5) 1 kg / 35 oz of apple, sliced
6) 1/2 tsp of dried thyme or to taste
7) 10 garlic cloves or to taste
8) 500-700 ml / 17-24 fl oz of water or dry white wine
1) cut excess skin and fat off from each duck if necessary, then rub ducks with salt to taste both on the outside and inside
2) chop sauerkraut, then place it in a bowl
3) peel off and chop red onions, then place it over sour cabbage
4) remove stub from apples, cut them into thick slices and put them over cabbage
5) add thyme to taste, then mix ingredients well
6) put cabbage on the tray in a uniform layer
7) place ducks over cabbage and put in each a few cloves of peeled garlic
8) grind some black pepper over ducks, then pour water or wine into the tray
9) cover tray with foil, then place it in the oven at 170 C / 340 F for about 45 minutes
10) remove foil from the tray, put it back in the oven and fry the meat at a very high temperature (over 200 C / 390 F) until it’s evenly browned
11) after this delicious slow roast duck is brown, turn the oven off, cover meat again with foil and wait for 30 minutes before serving (recommended)
The roasted whole duck recipe is one of the delicacies that we can enjoy in autumn and winter, seasons when ducks become robust and have sweet and juicy meat.
Although some consider duck meat to be too fatty, if prepared properly, the roast duck in the oven is a delicacy that all gourmets adore! Therefore, the wonderful oven-roasted duck is one of my favorite food recipes and I prepare it whenever I have the opportunity.
The roasted whole duck recipe can be prepared in many ways, with or without filling. Most people prefer sauerkraut because the pickled cabbage sourness compensates for the heavier and more succulent meat of the bird.
On this page is presented the recipe for slow roast duck with sauerkraut that I often cook for the whole family. I mix the sour cabbage with apples and onions to get a more refined taste, which contributes both the thyme and garlic introduced in the duck.
For the roast I make, to get the perfect taste, I use commonly a more aromatic dry white wine such as Chardonnay or Muskat-Ottonel, for example. Of course, you can even cook roasted duck without wine if you do not have this ingredient or don’t want to use it.
Whole duck recipe is very easy to prepare, does not require many ingredients, and is ready in a very reasonable time for a more demanding main dish.
Once it’s ready, I recommend you cover the roast with foil (instead, you can simply leave it in the oven after you turn the heat off) and wait about half an hour to thoroughly soak the flavored juices in the meat before slicing it. I assure you that slow roast duck with sauerkraut will be magnificent!
Another very tasty whole duck recipe I recommend is stuffed duck with apple and walnut.
Enjoy the slow roast duck with sauerkraut!
Read more about duck as food here.