Szilvás gombóc recipe to cook authentic Hungarian plum dumplings with simple and tasty ingredients to enjoy a delicious dessert or main dish.
Learn in this cooking video how to make Hungarian plum dumplings from scratch using a yummy and easy homemade plum dumplings recipe!
SUPER YUMMY food recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY Hungarian food! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 1,2 kg/42 oz of potatoes
2) 6 tbsp of semolina
3) 2 eggs
4) 500-600 g/18-21 oz of all-purpose flour
5) about 20 middle-sized plums, seedless
6) 1-2 tbsp of sunflower oil
7) 50 g/1.7 oz of butter
8) 200 g/7 oz of fine-grained breadcrumbs
9) 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
10) 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder or to taste
11) some powdered vanilla sugar for serving
1) boil potatoes in salty water, then peel them off and crush them while are still lukewarm until you get a mash
2) spread potatoes into a layer, sprinkle them with semolina all over, then wait to cool to room temperature (VERY IMPORTANT!)
3) break eggs over potatoes, then mix ingredients thoroughly
4) gradually add flour to potatoes while kneading until you get a smooth, fluffy, and elastic dough that is no more sticky
5) break a dough piece of about a spoon size, spread it, place a seedless plum in the middle, then tighten the dough into the palm and press it gently to get a sealed dumpling
6) continue in the same way with the rest of the ingredients
7) place water into a high pot, add some salt and oil, then wait until starts to boil
8) add dumplings into the water one by one and wait to rise to the surface (DO NOT MIX THEM!)
9) meanwhile, place butter into a skillet and wait to melt over a high temperature
10) add breadcrumbs into the skillet and fry them until golden while stirring continuously to avoid burning (1-2 minutes)
11) while frying, add sugar and cinnamon to breadcrumbs
12) after dumplings rose to the surface, take them out from the water, drain them and place them into the fried breadcrumbs prepared previously
13) cover dumplings with bread crumbs all over until you get a thin coating
14) place 2-3 dumplings on a plate and sprinkle over them powdered vanilla sugar to taste
15) serve Hungarian plum dumplings while still warm
When it comes to plum dumplings, many people would include them among cake recipes because consider them a dessert. However, in Hungary, a significant number of persons eat plum dumplings as a main dish, not dessert.
The first tip is to use autumn potatoes which contain much amidine and little water.
Second, after boiling, mash potatoes thoroughly and wait to cool completely before adding eggs. If potatoes are still lukewarm, the dough won’t be fluffy and elastic but rather gummy and thick!
Third, use juicy, ripe plums. Fresh plums are the best, but you still can use frozen plums or canned plums if you don’t have fresh fruit at hand. In the plum season, I use to put in the freezer bags with plums to make dumplings in winter. The final result is almost the same as the version with fresh plums.
Another golden cooking tip is to boil dumplings in a large quantity of water. This avoids that the dumplings stick to each other and boil properly, respectively to rise to the surface when they are ready for serving.
Finally, fry bread crumbs until slightly golden, not brown. When the color is brown, the breadcrumb is already burned and has a bitter taste.
And the last advice – serve the plums while are hot and sprinkle abundantly powdered vanilla sugar over them to enjoy the best flavors!
Enjoy Hungarian plum dumplings!
Read more about different dumpling types here.
cooking dumplings | Hungarian cakes | Hungarian recipes