📖 Table of Contents
German-Style Mashed Potatoes Recipes: Homemade Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream, Milk, and Butter
My German mashed potatoes are some of the most delicious mashed potatoes with sour cream, milk, and butter you’ve ever cooked at home. View the recipe and video below!
➡️ Searching for the best German mashed potatoes recipes? You don’t need to look further because here you’ll find out how to make mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter from scratch in just 4 steps. Potatoes have long been a staple food in many parts of the world, including the United States, and mashed potatoes are at the top of preferences for preparing boiled potatoes.
➡️ Mashed potato recipes are extremely diverse, but mashed potatoes with sour cream are the most popular because they have a very creamy consistency. My easy mashed potatoes recipe enables you to prepare creamed potatoes with simple and tasty ingredients like butter, milk, and sour cream.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
German Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream, Milk, and Butter from Scratch
➡️ The preparation of the recipe for mashed potatoes with sour cream does not require anything complicated or time-consuming, so it’s accessible to anyone. Watch the cooking video below and learn how to make German mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter using a yummy and easy homemade mashed potatoes recipe!
Homemade German Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream, Milk, and Butter
- 18 oz potatoes
- some fine salt to taste
- 2 oz butter at room temperature
- 2 fl oz cow milk at room temperature
- 3 oz sour cream (12% fat)
- peel potatoes, cube them, then boil them in slightly salted water until soft (15-25 minutes).
- drain the water well, then mash the potatoes by hand to avoid getting gummy (recommended).
- add gradually butter, milk, and sour cream, then combine the ingredients well to get creamy mashed potatoes.
- serve the German mashed potatoes immediately.
Cooking Tips for the Best Results:
- When boiling the potatoes, ensure that they are cut into small, evenly-sized pieces to ensure they cook evenly.
- For even creamier mashed potatoes, warm up slightly the milk in a separate saucepan before adding them to the mashed potatoes.
- When mixing the ingredients, avoid over-mixing as this can result in gluey potatoes.
- After mashing the potatoes with milk, butter, and sour cream, you can add a small amount of garlic powder and/or grated Parmesan cheese to the mixture and mix it until well combined for a more refined side dish.
- Remember to taste the mashed potatoes before serving and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
FAQs about the German Mashed Potatoes Recipe
What are mashed potatoes with sour cream?
Mashed potatoes with sour cream are a variation of the classic side dish where sour cream is added to the mashed potatoes, along with other traditional ingredients such as milk and butter. The addition of sour cream lends a tangy flavor and creamy texture to the mashed potatoes.
How do I make mashed potatoes with sour cream?
To make mashed potatoes with sour cream, start by boiling potatoes until they are tender. Drain the cooked potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a fork until they reach the desired consistency. Add sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper to the mashed potatoes and continue mashing until well combined. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
What does sour cream add to mashed potatoes?
Sour cream adds a tangy and creamy element to mashed potatoes. It enhances the flavor and texture, making them richer and more decadent. Sour cream also helps to keep the mashed potatoes moist and prevents them from becoming dry.
Can I substitute sour cream with other ingredients?
Yes, if you don’t have sour cream, you can substitute it with alternatives such as Greek yogurt or cream cheese. These alternatives will provide a similar tangy and creamy effect to the mashed potatoes.
Can I make mashed potatoes with sour cream ahead of time?
Yes, you can make mashed potatoes with sour cream ahead of time. Prepare the mashed potatoes as usual, let them cool, and refrigerate them in an airtight container. When ready to serve, reheat the mashed potatoes on the stovetop or in the oven, stirring occasionally to ensure even heating. You may need to add a little extra butter or cream to moisten them before serving.
Related Mashed Potato Recipes and Culinary Articles
➡️ Mashed potatoes belong to the most appreciated food recipes on the planet. I like them too, and therefore often prepare them as a side dish with fried, grilled or grilled meat of any kind. That’s why I use several recipes, some of which are listed below.
➡️ Enjoy cooking German mashed potatoes with sour cream from scratch! For additional info, read more on mashed potatoes. I also recommend you trying more tasty mashed potato recipes published on this website such as Hungarian mashed potatoes and Swedish dill potatoes.