Easy homemade cake recipe to make German or Hungarian pumpkin strudel at home with fresh pumpkin and more tasty ingredients.
Learn in this baking video how to make pumpkin strudel from scratch using a yummy traditional homemade cake recipe with fresh pumpkin!
SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY baking strudel at home!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 100 g/3.5 oz of butter
2) 2 tbsp of sunflower oil
3) 800 g/25 oz of dough sheets, bought or homemade (12 sheets)
4) 600 g/21 oz of grated sweet pumpkin
5) 3×1 tbsp of semolina + 3×3 tbsp of semolina
6) 3×6-8 tbsp of granulated sugar
7) 3×1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
8) 1 egg
9) caster sugar for garnishing (optional)
1) cut butter into small cubes, put it in a small saucepan, and add 2 tablespoons of oil to avoid burning
2) put the saucepan on the stovetop over medium temperature and wait until it melts
3) brush 4 dough sheets with melted butter and place them on top of each other just like in the video
4) sprinkle a tablespoon of semolina into the last dough sheet in a strip
5) spread over semolina about 1/3 of the quantity of sweet pumpkin (about 200 g/7 oz)
6) sprinkle 6-8 tablespoons of sugar over pumpkin, according to your taste and pumpkin sweetness
7) sprinkle over sugar about half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder or to taste
8) sprinkle 3 tablespoons of semolina over cinnamon
9) bend the edges of the sheets inwards on the long sides, like in the video, then roll the filled dough sheets as tight as possible
10) put the pumpkin pie on a tray coated with baking paper
11) proceed identically as above with the rest of the ingredients and prepare the other 2 rolls
12) break an egg into a bowl, beat it up with a fork, then brush the top and sides of the rolls
13) put the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and bake this delicious pumpkin strudel until browned (20-25 minutes)
14) take the tray out from the oven and wait for the pumpkin cake to cool to room temperature
15) remove ends, then cut the rolls into pieces of the desired size
16) sprinkle over cake some caster sugar as desired (recommended)
Strudel is one of the classic homemade cake recipes that are highly appreciated even today.
Strudel is, in fact, a pie with several pastry sheets and various fillings, usually sweet. This cake has Austrian origins, which is why it’s often called Wiener strudel.
Because it’s very tasty, the fame of strudel has far exceeded the borders of the country of origin and is prepared today in many European countries, especially in Germany, Austria, Hungary, and other countries that were part of the Habsburg Empire.
In addition to Central and Eastern Europe, this cake is well-known today on other continents such as North America (the USA and Canada and especially their eastern coasts) and some parts of Asia.
The most popular strudel types include apple strudel, pumpkin strudel, cherry strudel, and sweet cheese strudel. Other strudel varieties that are becoming more and more famous are prepared plum, apricot, and pear.
Some cake versions include raisins in the recipe, but using them is completely optional.
As for dough sheets necessary for this cake, nowadays almost everyone uses sheets bought from the store.
Of course, pastry sheets can be prepared at home but the process is laborious and time-consuming.
In addition, there is no qualitative difference between commercial and homemade dough sheets, so it’s not worth the effort to make them at home.
I know there are many fantastic recipes for sweet pumpkin pie but this is one is especially delicious.
This cake combines the sweetness of the pumpkin, the aroma of the cinnamon, and the crispy taste of the pastry sheets. Therefore, you just can imagine the pleasure you feel immediately when you taste it!
So, I recommend you to prepare and taste as soon as possible this Hungarian style pumpkin cake!
Enjoy Hungarian pumpkin strudel!
If you want to read more about the origins of the strudel go here!