SUPER YUMMY homemade cake recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY baking strudel! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 700 g/25 oz of sweet cow cheese, cottage cheese, or another drier sweet fresh cheese type
2) 200 g/7 oz of granulated sugar
3) 2 +1 eggs
4) 100 g/3.5 oz of golden raisins
5) 2 tbsp of sour cream (12% fat)
6) 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
7) 5 + 3 tbsp of semolina
8) grated zest from a lemon
9) 400 g/14 oz of phyllo pastry dough (12 sheets)
10) 100 g/3.5 oz of butter
11) some powdered sugar for garnishing
1) place cheese into a bowl
2) add over cheese sugar, 2 eggs, raisins, sour cream, vanilla extract, 5 spoons of semolina, and lemon zest, then mix ingredients by hand to combine very well
3) place butter into a saucepan, put the pan on the stovetop over medium temperature, and wait to melt the butter
4) unpack phyllo pastry, separate 2 sheets, and brush them with melted butter from place to place on the whole surface
5) place another 2 pastry sheets over the brushed ones and also brush them with melted butter
6) spread a spoon of semolina into a strip near the edge of the last pastry sheet
7) spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture over the semolina strip
8) bend the pastry sheets inward on the longer sides, then roll the filled pastry sheets as tight as possible
9) place the roll on a tray coated with baking paper, then continue identically with the rest of the ingredients and make two other rolls
10) break the last egg, beat it up with a fork, and brush thoroughly the rolls on the top and sides
11) make some small cuts into the rolls to get the steam out during baking and avoid breaking strudel
12) place the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and bake the cheese strudel until golden (about 20-25 minutes)
13) take the tray out from the oven and wait to cool the strudel to room temperature
14) cut the rolls off into desired pieces and sprinkle caster sugar over them in abundance
Hungarian strudel is one of my favorite homemade cake recipes. I use to make such strudel with fruits such as apple, cherry, or pear, baked pumpkin, and sweet cheese. Sometimes, I use for filling a combination of sweet cheese and fruit such as peach or apricot.
Cheese strudel was one of the preferred cakes of my grandpa, so the grandma prepared it pretty often and especially during spring when fresh cheese could be found in abundance.
In my family, sometimes cheese strudel replaced traditional paskha or cheese pie on the Easter table because every one of us liked it so much.
Making Hungarian strudel is really easy. You don’t need advanced baking skills, nor fancy ingredients, just basic things that one can find in any kitchen. Plus, preparation time is short, so you have the chance to make a fantastic homemade cake quickly and without too much effort!
As a result, there are not many tips to share for this cheesecake recipe or cheese pie recipe. I underline just three-four things.
First, use just very fresh and high-quality cheese. Taste the cheese before using it not to be sour because the cake will have an unpleasant flavor if the cheese is fermented. You can use any sweet cheese type that you have at hand. I use mostly sweet cow cheese.
Second, mix ingredients for filling very well to combine thoroughly. This is valid advice for any cake you make at home.
Third, don’t forget to make some notches in the strudels to allow the steam to go out during baking. If you don’t do this, there are high chances that strudel will break and will have an unpleasant look!
Finally, wait to cool the strudel completely before slicing it up. During cooling, the cheese filling will harden and your cake slices will look good. If you are not patient enough, cheese filling will flow in the sides when cutting the cake.
Enjoy Hungarian cheese strudel with phyllo pastry dough!
Read more about strudel types here!