Learn in this video how to make cherry strudel at home from scratch by using an authentic strudel recipe from Hungary!
SUPER YUMMY homemade Hungarian strudel recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY IT! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) remove seeds and put cherries into a bowl
2) separate 2 pastry sheets, melt butter, then brush pastry with butter just like in the video
3) add again two sheets, brush them as well
4) place a tablespoon of semolina into a strip over buttered pastry sheets
5) put about 1/3 (300 g/12 oz) of cherries over the semolina strip
6) sprinkle over cherries 4 tablespoons of sugar
7) sprinkle 3 tablespoons of semolina over sugar
8) bend pastry edges inwards, then roll sheets as tightly as possible just like in the video
9) put the strudel on a tray with baking paper, then continue identically with the rest of the ingredients (finally, you’ll have 3 rolls)
10) break the egg, then beat it with a fork and brush each cherry strudel on top
11) make some notches into rolls to get steam out during baking
12) put the tray into the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and wait until Hungarian cherry strudel is golden brown
13) take the tray out from the oven when the cake is ready, then wait to cool to room temperature
14) cut Hungarian strudel pieces of the desired size and sprinkle over powdered sugar abundantly (optional)
To inform people who don’t know what is a strudel, I have to say that it’s a layered pastry cake with some filling, which is usually sweet.
It seems that strudel was invented by Austrian bakers during the Habsburg Empire. However, strudel recipes are very popular in many Eastern European countries that were included in the empire.
Because it’s very tasty, this Hungarian strudel is one of the most popular homemade cake recipes in the country. Cherry or sour cherry strudel recipe is typical for Hungary, but you’ll find it also in other countries where live Hungarian such as Romania or Slovakia.
The cheery or sour cherry strudel recipe is very tasty. As a result, I make it any time I have fresh cherries. However, you can make this Hungarian cherry strudel recipe with canned cherries as well.
Regarding pastry used for Hungarian strudel, you can prepare it at home or buy it from the store. Because making homemade pastry is a very time-consuming process, almost everybody chooses to use the commercial version. However, there is no quality difference, so there isn’t worth the effort to make pastry at home.
If you use sour cherries instead of sweet cherries, you need to add extra 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of semolina to this Hungarian strudel recipe.
Enjoy cherry strudel recipe from scratch!
You can read more about strudel origins here.