Learn in this baking video how to make apple puff pastry turnovers from scratch using a yummy and easy apple turnover recipe with apricot jam!
SUPER YUMMY old-fashioned apple turnover recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 250 g/9 oz of sweet apples
2) fresh juice from half a lemon
3) 1/4 tsp of cinnamon powder
4) 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder (optional)
5) 2 tbsp of honey
6) 800 g/28 oz of puff pastry from the store (2 sheets x 400 g/14 oz)
7) 1 egg, separated into yolk and white
8) 50 g/2 oz of apricot jam
9) powdered sugar for garnishing (recommended)
1) peel apples off, remove stub from them, then cut it into small cubes
2) put cubed apples into a bowl, then add lemon juice, spices, and honey
3) mix ingredients well and wait about 5 minutes for the aromas to enter the apple
4) meanwhile, cut out circular shapes of dough with a diameter of about 10-12 cm/4-5 inches
5) notch each piece of dough like in the video
6) on each piece of dough, brush an egg white stripe on the edge with about 1-2 cm/0.4-0.8 inches of wideness
7) put a teaspoon of apricot jam on each piece of dough on the side without notches
8) put 2 teaspoons of apple cubes over the jam, then bend the notched part of the dough over the filling
9) press dough on the edge with a fork to join the sheets and do not leak the filling during baking
10) put the filled dough pieces on a tray coated with baking paper
11) brush pastry turnovers on top with egg yolk, then place the tray in the preheated oven at 180 C/360 F and bake this delicious apple strudel until golden (20-30 minutes or according to your oven)
12) take the tray out from the oven and wait for the cake to cool to room temperature
13) sprinkle some powdered sugar over jam and apple puff pastry turnovers before serving (recommended)
“Apple cake is a popular dessert produced with the main ingredient of apples. Such a cake is made through the process of slicing this sweet fruit to add fragrance to a plain cake base. Traditional apple cakes go a step further by including various spices such as nutmeg or cinnamon, which give a unique flavor. Upon the addition of spices, the batter can also be accompanied by crushed nuts, the most popular being walnuts and almonds.
Dorset apple cake, Devon apple cake, and Somerset apple cake are traditional forms of this cake, respectively from Dorset, Devon, and Somerset, England. They may include apple juices local to these counties as part of their recipes but are not necessary.
Apples are also used in other cakes, including chocolate cake, where their water retention can help a normally dry cake to stay moist. In this case, they may be either dried or fresh.”
📖 Read more on Apple Cake!
“Apples are one of the most popular fruits — and for good reason. They’re an exceptionally healthy fruit with many research-backed benefits.
1. Apples Are Nutritious
Apples are a good source of fiber and vitamin C. They also contain polyphenols, which may have numerous health benefits.
2. Apples May Be Good for Weight Loss
Apples are high in fiber and water — two qualities that make them filling.
In one study, people who ate apple slices before a meal felt fuller than those who consumed applesauce, apple juice, or no apple products.
In the same study, those who started their meal with apple slices also ate an average of 200 fewer calories than those who didn’t.
Apples may aid weight loss in several ways. They’re also particularly filling due to their high fiber content.
3. Apples May Be Good for Your Heart
Apples have been linked to a lower risk of heart disease.
One reason may be that apples contain soluble fiber — the kind that can help lower your blood cholesterol levels.
They also contain polyphenols, which have antioxidant effects. Many of these are concentrated in the peel.
One of these polyphenols is the flavonoid epicatechin, which may lower blood pressure.
Apples promote heart health in several ways. They’re high in soluble fiber, which helps lower cholesterol. They also have polyphenols, which are linked to lower blood pressure and stroke risk.”
📖 Read more on 10 Impressive Health Benefits of Apples!
Everyone loves apple cake and, therefore, this kind of dessert is among the most popular homemade cake recipes in many parts of the world.
There are probably thousands of apple cake recipes, prepared in different ways, and featuring a wide variety of ingredients.
In the last years, cake recipes featuring frozen puff pastry dough from the store are becoming more popular because they are very easy to prepare, do not require much time, and are also very cheap.
Many puff pastry cake recipes are made with jam. This is not surprising because the pastry cake with sweetness is absolutely delicious!
On this page, I present a puff pastry cake recipe that contains two of my favorite ingredients, namely apricot jam and apple. It’s somehow similar to the old-fashioned apple strudel, but it’s even easier to make! And this apple turnover recipe tastes better, I assure you!
There are not many tips to share regarding this old-fashioned apple turnover recipe filled with jam and fresh apples. It’s very easy to make, you don’t need sophisticated ingredients (cardamom is not mandatory to use but, if you have this spice, I advise you to use it because it fits very well with the apple!) and the cooking time is very short – only about 20-25 minutes!
The dessert that you can make using this jam and apple turnovers recipe is very tasty and will please the whole family! Plus, it will cost you very little!
Of course, if you like another type of sweetness to make this jam and apple turnover recipe, you can use any other fruit jam you want!
By the way, another very tasty version of the jam and apple turnovers recipe is with quince marmalade – I’m 100% sure that you’ll appreciate this variety too!
If you have neither apricot jam nor quince marmalade, use some blueberry sweetness – this cake will be at least as irresistible as the apple turnover recipe with apricot jam!
Enjoy the old-fashioned apple turnover recipe with a modern spirit!
After you make the apple turnover recipe, view how to make jam puff pastry turnovers!
Enjoy the jam and apple turnover recipe!
easy apple cake recipe | homemade apple cake recipe | easy apple turnover recipe | old-fashioned apple turnover recipe | how to make apple turnovers from scratch | easy homemade cake recipes