📖 Table of Contents
Homemade Grenadiermarsch Recipes
Potato pasta is one of the most delicious Hungarian pasta recipes you ever cooked!
➡️ Looking for authentic Hungarian potato pasta recipes Grenadiermarsch aka Krumplis Tészta in 2023? On this page, you can learn how to cook pasta and potatoes with fried onion or leek in 8 steps at home.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Stay informed with our newsletter! Sign up to receive updates on new recipes and culinary articles. Plus, after subscription, you get a FREE sample of the cookbook “10 Common Mistakes Anyone Can Make In The Kitchen” (download link provided in the Welcome email.)
How to Make Hungarian Potato Pasta from Scratch
Plant-Based Recipes Cookbook
If you’re ready to experience the taste of delicious plant-based recipes, look no further than the “Quick and Delicious Plant-Based Recipes” cookbook.
Hungarian Potato Pasta
- 800/28 g/oz potatoes (I recommend a floury potato type)
- 300/10 g/oz yellow onions or leeks
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 500/18 g/oz fettuccine, tagliatelle pasta, or another type of wide pasta (I recommend using hard wheat pasta); these are very similar to the homemade Hungarian pasta used typically for this recipe
- 1-2 tbsp sweet paprika for sprinkling
- grated cheese like pecorino for serving (optional); this is not typical Hungarian but some cheese sorts fit well with the recipe
- boil whole potatoes in salted water, then take them out from the water and wait to cool
- chop the onion and fry it in a pan with a little oil until becomes glassy, season it meanwhile with salt to taste
- in the meantime, peel potatoes and crush them coarsely with a fork
- boil pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the package, then drain the water well
- add potatoes to the pan and fry ingredients for 2-3 minutes by stirring continuously
- after you have drained water from the pasta, put the pot back on the stove over high temperature and add the onion and potato mixture
- fry ingredients for about 2-4 minutes or until all the oil is absorbed into the pasta, mix continuously ingredients to avoid burning food
- right before serving, sprinkle over potato pasta a little ground black pepper, paprika, and cheese if used
- Choose the Right Pasta: When buying pasta for Hungarian Potato Pasta, opt for varieties that have a sturdy texture and can hold up well in hearty dishes. Look for options like egg noodles, tagliatelle, or fettuccine, which can provide a similar mouthfeel to homemade Hungarian pasta.
- Cook Al Dente: To ensure a satisfying texture and prevent the pasta from becoming mushy, cook it al dente. Follow the instructions on the package and taste-test the pasta a couple of minutes before the recommended cooking time. It should have a slight bite to it when done.
- Salt the Water: When boiling the pasta, be sure to add salt to the cooking water. This helps to enhance the flavor of the pasta itself, as it absorbs some of the salt during the cooking process. Aim for approximately 1-2 teaspoons of salt per quart of water.
- Time it Right: Prepare the pasta just before serving the dish. While the pasta can be cooked ahead of time, it’s best to mix it with the other ingredients just before serving to prevent it from becoming soggy or overcooked.
- Sprinkle with Paprika: To add a burst of flavor and a touch of authenticity to your Hungarian Potato Pasta, sprinkle it generously with paprika. This simple yet impactful seasoning brings a distinct taste and vibrant color to the dish. You can adjust the amount of paprika based on your preference for spiciness and flavor intensity. This final touch will elevate the dish and provide the characteristic flavor profile that is quintessentially Hungarian.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
Final Notes for the Hungarian Potato Pasta Recipe
➡️ For sure, many people would include pasta among their most popular food recipes. One of the oldest homemade pasta recipes is potato pasta with fried onions, which is called Grenadiermarsch in some parts of Europe such as Hungary.
➡️ Enjoy the Hungarian potato pasta recipe from scratch! For additional info, read more on Grenadiermarsch!
FAQs about Hungarian Potato Pasta
What is Hungarian potato pasta (Krumplis tészta)?
Hungarian potato pasta, called krumplis tészta, is a traditional quick and easy dish, budget-friendly, with super simple ingredients but extremely delicious. It is also called “grenadiermarsch”, however, Hungarians rarely use this name today. Traditional recipe features homemade pasta, fried onions, and boiled potatoes, which are combined before serving and then sprinkled with paprika.
How do I make Hungarian potato pasta from scratch?
To make Hungarian Potato Pasta from scratch, you will need flour, eggs, potatoes, onions, salt, and water. Start by preparing the dough using flour and eggs, then let it rest. Meanwhile, boil the potatoes and cook the onions until caramelized. Next, roll out the dough, cut it into noodles, and cook them in boiling water. Finally, combine the cooked noodles with the potatoes and caramelized onions, and season with salt to taste.
Can I use store-bought pasta for Hungarian potato pasta?
Yes, you can use store-bought pasta as a convenient alternative for Hungarian Potato Pasta. Look for sturdy pasta varieties like egg noodles, tagliatelle, or fettuccine, which can provide a similar texture to homemade Hungarian pasta. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package, and then combine it with the cooked potatoes and onions.
What are some variations of Hungarian potato pasta?
Hungarian potato pasta can be customized with additional ingredients to suit your taste. Some popular variations include adding bacon or smoked sausage for extra flavor, incorporating herbs like parsley or dill for freshness, or topping it with sour cream or grated cheese as a garnish.
Can Hungarian potato pasta be made in advance?
While the pasta can be cooked ahead of time, it’s best to mix it with the other ingredients and sauce just before serving to prevent it from becoming soggy or overcooked. This ensures that the dish maintains its optimal texture and flavor.
How is Hungarian potato pasta traditionally served?
Hungarian potato pasta is often served as a main course, accompanied by a side of pickles or a fresh salad. It can also be enjoyed as a side dish alongside meat or poultry dishes. Sprinkling the dish with plain paprika is a traditional way to enhance the flavors and add a touch of color.
Related Pasta Recipes and Culinary Articles
📖 Cooking article by