6 PRO Tips To Make German Cabbage Salad
- the authentic recipe is prepared with white onions because Germans love this onion type, however, you can replace it with yellow or even red onion
- the longer it stays in the salt, the softer the cabbage, so I recommend you wait 30-60 minutes for this stage of the recipe
- squeeze well the cabbage to remove as much salted water as possible
- marinating the onion in vinegar and water has the role of softening it, so do not skip this stage
- adjust the amount of sugar and vinegar according to your taste, the salad should have a sweet-sour taste in the end (Germans prefer it more sweet than sour!)
- cumin is widely used in German cuisine because it helps digestion, I recommend you use it because it goes very well with cabbage and will avoid the bloating that usually occurs when you eat cabbage
➡️ Enjoy making German coleslaw from scratch!