Learn in this video how to make Jamaican cabbage salad from scratch by using a tasty and easy cabbage slaw recipe!
SUPER YUMMY homemade coleslaw recipe by www.homemaderecipesfromscratch.com! ENJOY Jamaican food! 👌
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?
1) 1.5 kg/50 oz of white cabbage
2) 1 tbsp of salt
3) 150 g/5 oz of green onions
4) 150/5 oz of carrots
5) 6 tbsp of vegetable oil (I use olive oil or sunflower oil)
6) 6 tbsp of white wine vinegar
7) ground black pepper to taste
8) 3 tbsp of sweet mustard
9) 2 tbsp of brown sugar
10) 100 ml/3 fl oz of carbonated water
1) remove the withered leaves, then cut finely the cabbage into thin strips
2) sprinkle salt over the cabbage, mix ingredients well, then wait about 1-2 hours or until the cabbage softens and a large quantity of water is extracted
3) squeeze more salted water from cabbage by hand and place it into a bowl
4) slice green onions into thin rounds and add them over the cabbage
5) grated carrots and add them into the bowl, then mix ingredients thoroughly
6) place vegetable oil into another bowl
7) add vinegar into the bowl
8) add some ground black pepper to taste
9) add sweet mustard into the bowl
10) add brown sugar, then mix ingredients well to combine them
11) pour carbonated water into the bowl, mix ingredients again, then pour the bowl content over the cabbage
12) mix all ingredients together to combine well
13) place the Jamaican cabbage salad into the fridge for about 30 minutes before serving to combine better the flavors
Cabbage salad or coleslaw is one of the most popular salad recipes all over the world. Each country where cabbage is available has a specific cabbage salad recipe.
I love cabbage salad, no matter which dressing is used. Usually, I make vinegar cabbage salad during summer and fall, and mayonnaise cabbage salad in wintertime.
On this website, you’ll find a couple of coleslaw recipes featuring both red and white cabbage. The slaw recipe on this page has Jamaican origins.
Despite the fact that it’s a vinegar cabbage salad, the Jamaican coleslaw has a sweet taste due to the sweet mustard and brown sugar. However, this is specific to this slaw.
Do you think this is the only sweet cabbage salad? No way, Hungarian, for example, like the sweet slaw salad as well, so, if you visit Hungary be prepared to get a VERY sweet cabbage salad.
You probably know that both white and red cabbage is used to make a salad. Another thing that is specific to the Jamaican cabbage slaw is the use of white cabbage. I don’t know the reason, but I guess red or purple cabbage is not available on a large scale on this Caribbean island.
As for the Jamaican cabbage salad recipe, it’s really easy to make and doesn’t require many or fancy ingredients, nor advanced cooking skills. As a result, I don’t have many tips to share with you to get the best results.
Maybe the only two things that I should underline are to cut very thin cabbage strips and wait enough time that salt to remove a large quantity of water from the cabbage.
If you’re asking why I’m using this technique to remove water with salt, the answer is that the salt softens the cabbage fiber and reduces its volume, so you can make a fresh vegetable salad with an optimal proportion between the vegetable ingredients, respectively carrot and green onions in this case.
I know that there are many people who like a crunchy texture of the cabbage and consider that water in the cabbage is actually a kind of juice, very useful for the health. If you’re one of them, this Jamaican cabbage salad recipe isn’t for you and I recommend you to search for another coleslaw recipe.
Enjoy this easy cabbage salad recipe in Jamaican spirit!
Read more about coleslaw origins here.